Akitas have long won the hearts of dog lovers around the world. Despite a very nice face, plush thick coat, this dog does not like excessive tenderness, obsession, and neglect.
The rich history of this breed left its mark on her character – the representatives of this breed is characterized by confidence, independence, strong will, high intelligence, and devotion. But all this is only possible with the right approach to education is not very simple at first glance, the dog.
The content of the article
- 1 Interesting facts
- 2 Traits
- 3 The view of the real breeder
- 4 Standard: the description and photos
- 5 If aggressive?
- 6 The pros and cons
- 7 Size and weight
- 8 Color variations
- 9 Is it possible to keep in the apartment or on the street?
- 10 As relates to children, gets along with Pets?
- 11 Expressed if the protection is ideal for the protection of a private house?
- 12 The nuances of maintenance and care
- 13 Health and major illness
- 14 How to choose a puppy?
- 15 Summary and conclusions
History Breed Akita inu – one of the oldest in Japan, according to archaeologists this breed appeared in Japan as early as 8 thousand years ago and has long been used for hunting large animals. In the 17th century, the breed gradually evolved from hunting to the elite, as the Japanese rulers and the entourage began to keep such dogs in a guard order.
At some point, the veneration of this breed has achieved what the wealthy families have each Akita inu was your servant, the dog spoke only calm, quiet, and respectful.
Over time the breed has become more popular and accessible. This was largely due to the fact that the largest and most powerful dogs of this breed began to participate in dog fights.
It often happens that the opponents of the Akita inu were representatives of another ancient breed, the Tosa inu, which is more powerful and hardy dogs resulting from the crossing of several European breeds. In the end, the Akita inu, too, were crossed with European dogs, which led to the threat of extinction of the ancestral species.
In the 20th century, Japanese dog handlers and breeders have sounded the alarm and began work on the restoration of the purity of the breed. In 1927 there was even founded a Society for the preservation of Akita-Inu, which could achieve some success in this direction.
But the outbreak of the Second World war – dog, the Akita inu were used on battlefields because of its fighting qualities and physical power and strength, but not only – from their skins began to sew coats. This led to the fact that by the end of the war, derived at the beginning of the century “pure” individuals are gone, the work to restore the breed had to start over.
Fortunately, miraculously, it was found a few individuals of this Akita-inu – for several years, the owners secretly kept them at home. These dogs also initiated the revival of the breed.
Gradually the breed gained popularity among Europeans and Americans, military bases are located throughout Japan. So the breed became popular not only in Japan but around the world.
- In Japan, in the 17th century, there was a decree according to which he who dared to offend the Akita inu, went to jail, and the killer dogs of this breed were threatened with the imminent death penalty.
- The breed has an almost phenomenal memory – dogs remember not only the commands and facial expressions of the person but the events of his life.
- Don’t like to bark for no particular reason. That is why the Japanese have a saying: “If your Akita barks, – worry”.
- The surge in popularity of Akita-inu in our time happened because of the American movie “Hachiko” based on real events. Hachiko is an Akita inu that lived together with the owner, a scholar who went every day to the city for work. The faithful dog accompanied his master to the station and returned home, and in the evening came to meet. One day the scientist went away and never came back – he was overtaken by a stroke on the job. And the dog for the next 9 years we’re still twice a day to walk to the station and wait for the host. The old dog died of cancer and heart disease, which causes severe grief. After the news of the death in Japan was actually declared a national mourning, and in honor of this extraordinary dog at the station of Siboa was a monument.
- Dogs of this breed in Japan are a symbol of devotion, love and family happiness.
The Akita inu is a very loyal breed that will protect and safeguard your home and family, a great family dog, great companion, who is waiting for an equal and respectful attitude. This is one of the most balanced species, has a proud and independent disposition, rarely exhibits his emotions on display, even in critical situations.
Separate words deserve the intelligence of this breed, which on this parameter ahead of many other breeds. These dogs are able to make decisions, to make choices in a particular situation, sometimes humanly to cheat.
Another distinctive feature of this breed is the love of independence, as well as some stubbornness – for example, they do not like to walk on a leash, you can even disappear for a few hours, but then must return home, choose a place to sleep.
To strangers, the representatives of this breed are respectful, hospitable, but still cautiously – to take a pause to examine the new face and to determine its attitude.
This breed needs training, with the best that dog training has or an experienced dog breeder or professional. That is the right approach or a professional coach will help to raise a smart, obedient and loyal dog. Otherwise, there is a danger of domination Akita inu on the host.
From the first days, it is important to calmly, firmly and patiently to understand the new member of the family who’s boss. In the case of pranks and misdeeds, in any case, can not be punished by the Creek and, especially, physically – is the dog will remember for a lifetime, in her eyes, the abuser will become an enemy, which she is sure to someday take revenge.
Thus, as the host of this dog will suit a person strong-willed, confident, and who knows the subtleties of this breed. Novice breeders are not recommended to have this breed. Breeders are very picky to examine the candidates in that home of the Akita inu. This is due to the fact that there are cases when the owners can’t cope with the demeanor of your pet and bring him back. This, in turn, may negatively affect the formation of character is the Akita inu.
The view of the real breeder
For dogs, the Akita inu is important human society. Devoid of sufficient communication, the puppy begins to entertain yourself, chew on shoes, furniture. In the end, the skill of communicating with a person is malformed as a result of two extremes – the dog is too shy and not confident, or on the contrary, provokes aggression.
Often owners, especially beginners, start to re-educate the dog when its behavior has already formed, and any change is almost impossible. It is therefore essential from the very beginning softly, but calmly show the puppy that it is unacceptable and what is acceptable in his behavior. Consistency and patience such actions will lead to good results.
Standard: the description and photos
- Size. Dog of large size, the height at the withers from 60 to 70 cm, strong physique with the right proportions. The ratio between the height of the withers and the long body is 10:11. In females, the body is slightly longer than in males.
- The skull also has a proper proportion in relation to the body. The forehead large, his nose large and black. The representatives of the white color may be absent pigmentation on the nose.
- Jaw Teeth strong, lips tight, cheeks moderately developed.
- Eyes small, section “East” shape, outer corners slightly raised, brown.
- Ears rather small, triangular, slightly rounded at the edges, located close to each other. In the beginning, the ears drooping, only half a year they finally rise.
- Neck thick and muscular, back straight and strong, loins are broad and muscular. Chest high, with a well-developed chest.
- The tail in the first 2 months of life straight, then twisted a ring and lies on his back.
- The paws and fat, round, dense and strong. The coat is dense and short (about 5 cm).
Further photos can be seen as a dog of breed Akita-inu:
Evil or good dog breed Akita inu? As in ancient times, the breed was used first in hunting, then security, then participated in dog fights, then laid it on the genetic level hunting and guarding instincts are in the wrong education and training can result in serious difficulties for the owners.
That is why only the owner with a solid, calm personality, but at the same time respectful of the pet will be able to build a proper upbringing. Only due to these factors from the Akita inu can make a great companion dog, loyal and smart friend, a loving family, children, home, ready to defend them to the last.
If the owner does not find the right approach, there is a risk to pet-related aggressive to strangers, other dogs, and even children. In addition, the pet will follow its own decisions and desires and ignore the will of the owner.
It is important to remember that training and education should begin from the earliest days and continue until the second birthday of the dog. In the period from 4 to 8 months, the dog is determined by the choice of who is the dominant owner is this man going for it the undisputed leader.
Two years ends with her growing up. If you do not have time to raise and train her at this age, the upbringing of at a later date will not have an effect, since it’s already formed an independent individual.
The pros and cons
However, the advantages of this breed are much more than the minuses. In particular, the advantages are such features of the breed: High intelligence and trainability.
- Fearlessness and protective qualities.
- Innate cleanliness.
- Wary of strangers.
- Devoted friend and companion of his master.
- Can live in the apartment and in the streets in a country house.
Below we give a brief description of the main drawbacks of the breed: Perversity, which in some cases can be excessive.
- Possible aggression toward large dogs.
- A large number of drop-down hair during molting.
- Sometimes problems with nutrition, particularly in the selection of dry food.
Size and weight
Puppies are growing until they reach 3 years of age. Weight gain active (up to 7 kg in a month). Reaching 35-49 kg weight slows down and ends by 3 years.
The average parameters of height and weight dogs:
|Bitch||58 – 64 cm||32 – 45 kg
|Male||Male 64 – 70 cm||40 – 45 kg
Japanese – appeared thanks to Japanese breeders, which focused on the restoration of the true breed in the postwar period. Japanese Akita inu has a special structure of the head, resembling a triangle. Also, distinctive features are small eyes and a snub nose like a Fox.
American – have also emerged in the postwar period, but as a result of the actions of the American breeders. Representatives of this species larger and higher, have a more pronounced quality of a fighter, better suited as a defender of the owner and his property.
The breed has 4 options for color:
- Red-fawn with black tips on the hairs.
- Pure white.
Three of the four colors (except white) must be the characteristic, white hairs on the sides of the muzzle, on the neck, chest, inner surface of the belly, and paws.
Is it possible to keep in the apartment or on the street?
This breed is quite suitable for keeping the apartment, but it required long hour walks at least twice a day. As originally the breed is noted for such properties as strength, endurance, power, dogs need to maintain their athleticness and sportiness.
But it’s better for them to be content in a large aviary, country house, and even better without a leash, but with the ability to take refuge in the warm booth. Long walks will still be needed, as by themselves to play and run around on the site, they will not.
As relates to children, gets along with Pets?
If adults Akita inu can keep a distance, to be emphasized with respect, that she as if returned to childhood loves and can play with them, spend time. This is no accident – Japan’s elite often used their Pets as a nanny for children. If you have other dogs, smaller breeds or cats, Akita inu will be with them, especially if they grow up together since childhood. If the house is a dog of the same breed or size, to the Akita inu, it will be important to establish dominance in the first few weeks.
Expressed if the protection is ideal for the protection of a private house?
Dog, the Akita inu as a number of owners, has high security-guard potential. It should be noted that prior to the year they will not bark. However, these dogs are not one of those that attacked the thief – rather, they will stand in his way, will not go away until the master returns. In addition, because of its restrained character and a guarded attitude to strangers, in case of aggression against the host Akita inu will immediately stand up in his defense.
The nuances of maintenance and care
In content and caring for dogs of this breed there are no serious difficulties, however, certain nuances have:
- Grooming – like the fur and the undercoat is thick and fluffy, these dogs needed grooming (mowing and trimming are not used). In addition, 1-2 times a week to brush the dog’s coat. During molting, scratching has every day (molting takes place twice a year, and can last for several months).
- Wash – not to lose the unique waterproofing properties of fur, the dog is recommended to wash no more than once per year.
- Claws – mowing is performed as needed, depending on how quickly they are worn down (maybe once every two weeks, and maybe more often).
Health and major illness
The breed is not endowed with some typical diseases and those that occur most frequently, are successfully treated:
- Allergic reactions.
- Bloating or volvulus.
- Dysplasia of the hip or elbow joint.
- Hypothyroidism and skin diseases.
- Blood disorder similar to human hemophilia.
- Eye disease (cataract, glaucoma, retinal atrophy).
Life expectancy is about 10-12 years. Females live on average 1-2 months longer than males.
Feeding habits: the better to feed?
Japanese origin left their mark on the diet that suits it breeds – rice, fish, seafood, seaweed, vegetables. More familiar European breeds of chicken, beef, dairy products can cause allergies. In addition, they are poorly absorbed soybeans contained in dry food, therefore, to find dry food difficult. More-less suitable it may be one that based on only one source of protein – fish or duck.
For puppies best suited boiled sea fish, low-fat cottage cheese, veal, fruit, and vegetables. Depending on the age of the puppy will vary and the frequency of feedings of puppies under two months of age should be fed 5-6 times a day, to four months the number of feedings should be reduced to 3 times a day. Dogs 6 months and older eat twice a day.
How to choose a puppy?
If you decide to get a dog of this breed, it is best to contact the nursery, working in this particular species. Even better would be if the club or kennel will be recognized by the World Canine Organization.
When choosing a puppy Akita-inu, it is worth considering the following points:
- Choose a puppy from a small litter where all the puppies are approximately the same size.
- It is important to see the pedigree, to study whether any genetic diseases or allergies. Do not take puppies from parents who were closely related to communication is the increased risk of disease in a puppy.
- After talking with the parents of the puppy you can roughly understand the psychological portrait of their offspring.
- When dealing with a puppy it is important to note how he comes in contact, interested in a potential host if it exists, then the puppy is ready for a new family.
- There are no external flaws in the puppy as he is active, playful, whether there is no unpleasant odor, all teeth, and claws intact.
Summary and conclusions
Dog breed Akita inu is not suitable for everyone, and Vice versa – not everyone will be suited to the role of the owner of such a dog. It must be a Union of two strong, independent, confident individuals, treating each other with respect, without unnecessary emotions.
CAUTION! Before you get a puppy of this breed, it is a very responsible approach to this issue and to evaluate how a dog with such characteristics of nature and disposition will become a good family member.
The process of education and training this breed is not the easiest, and often not under force to novice breeders. But with the proper approach, this dog will be a great companion and family friend.